If you’ve ever purchased a canvas online (from an art wholesaler) it may have arrived in a cardboard tube. You may be asking, “what’s next?” Here is our step-by-step process for “stretching” canvas.
- Artwork is either painted or printed to canvas. The canvas is fabric that has been treated with paint and plaster to create a stiff surface. Canvas can be easily shipped because it can be rolled.
- When you are ready to hang a canvas it requires a frame. The frame is made from wooden “stretcher bars.” They are called this because the canvas is wrapped (or stretched) around the wooden frame (or stretcher bars) and stapled on the back to hold the canvas in place.
- Once the canvas is attached to the stretcher bars it is suitable to be hung on the wall. Many people opt to add an additional frame around the stretched canvas for aesthetic purposes.
There are 2 types of edges to canvases.
- Gallery Wrap/Mirror Wrap: this is when the artwork does not end at the edge of the canvas but the design continues all the way around the wrapped edges.
- Painted Sides: this is when the artwork ends at the edge of the canvas – leaving the edges white. These can be painted any color as an additional design element. Black is a typical edge color.
See also: Floater Frames
Our three step promise ensures that your artwork, keepsakes, and valuables stay protected and are displayed the best they can be.
- Quality: We use only the very best, acid free materials in mounting and showcasing your pieces. We test our products to ensure they resist fading, discoloration, warping, or rippling.
- Service: Any piece you bring or mail to us remains at our facility. We do all work in-house and take pride in keeping your valuables safe at all times.
- Guarantee: Should any of our products not meet our quality standards we will replace the molding, mattes and mounting boards.
For our out of town shoppers: Need to choose frame molding and mattes without being able to come in to our location? Fill out the contact form below and we will email photo samples once we narrow down the design criteria.Call Us